Belgrade hotel closes, officers have nowhere to go
The Bristol hotel in Belgrade, a 106-year-old building and a home to 30 families of Serbia’s army officers for 27 years finally closed its doors to become a part of the Belgrade Waterfront (BW), an expensive joint venture with the United Arab Emirates (UAE), N1 reported.
The hotel employees first published the news on their Facebook page.
They would get new jobs somewhere else, but the retired officers and their families had nowhere to go, after seemingly empty promises >> Pročitaj celu vest na sajtu N1 televizija << by the authorities, the Danas daily reported.
“The employees have left, but we are still here. I don’t know what will happen with us, but we are not leaving since we don’t have where to go,” Dragan Stojanovic, a retired officer of the former Yugoslav Army, said.
Since the beginning of the construction of the Belgrade Waterfront luxury complex, the surrounding objects standing in the way have been seen for either demolition or taking over by the BW company.
The families from the Bristol Hotel said they had asked the Defence Minister Aleksandar Vulin for an urgent meeting, but hadn’t got a reply.
Vulin said over the weekend that an appropriate accommodation had been secured for the Bristol occupants.
“We have already secured the appropriate accommodation, and we are discussing with them which location they will choose and where the first families will move in. No one who has the right to be in the hotel will not be without accommodation,” Vulin said last Saturday.
Those officers are the refugees from the 1991-1995 wars in ex Yugoslavia, mostly from Croatia, where they were posted as members of the former Yugoslav Army which remained loyal to Serbia after the country fell apart.